- University of Bristol Film & Television courses
- UWE Bristol Filmmaking, Animation & Photography courses
Moving Image Research at UWE plays a vital role in exploring the cultural, historical, technological and theoretical dimensions of moving image production, interaction and reception. Recent reports include ‘An Invisible Army’ (2019), an evaluation of Bristol’s freelance film & TV workforce and ‘Go West, Bristol’s Film & TV Industries’ (2017), which was integral in informing Bristol’s bid to become a City of Film.
For more than 60 years, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School has been the training ground for some of the greatest screen actors of our time, including Sir Daniel Day-Lewis, Olivia Colman, Naomie Harris and Sir Patrick Stewart.
A diverse range of other film education initiatives are engaging minds of all ages across the city, delivered by organisations like the BFI Film Academy, The Aardman Academy, boomsatsuma, Screenology, Knowle West Media Centre and Calling the Shots.
Through its Film Education strand, Bristol City of Film is:
- supporting cross-cultural connections in Bristol and internationally
- encouraging new models of learning through film in Bristol’s schools
- facilitating careers guidance, training and skills development to unlock talent
- enabling access to all levels of film education, from primary school to further and higher education
Take a look at some of the projects we’re currently working with.
“During our three years as students at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, the sublimely beautiful Theatre Royal glowed in the night, within our reach yet just beyond it. For my first year as a professional actor it was my home.”
Sir Daniel Day-Lewis